Monday, May 19, 2008

Crotalus viridis (Western Rattlesnake)

This has been our week for reptiles. Everyone says that this area is "Snake Country" and that they are all over. The only type of snake around here as I am told is the Western Rattlesnake. We have never seen or even heard one until a few nights ago. I still have not seen a live rattlesnake. We were leaving my parents house around 9pm. It was dark and we started to head down the hill Trisch said "You just ran over a snake". Well if I did it was behind me and dark so I backed up and sure enough I ran over a snake...twice. I poked it with a stick to make sure it wasn't a super snake that could survive an SUV smashing it into the gravel. Yup it was dead. I put it on the back bumper and we took it back to the house for inspection. I'll spare you the gory details but it was quite fascinating. It was probably close to 3 feet when all stretched out and it had seven rattles on the tail. I'm not sure if that is any indication of the age or not. It was really fat so hopefully it had enjoyed a tasty last meal before we sent it out of this life.

No comments: