Saturday, June 02, 2007

Trail of Ten Falls

This was one of those last minute camping trips that worked out just perfect. This past month seems to have been the month of the waterfall. We decided to head to the largest state park in Oregon and do some camping. I cannot believe we have lived here as long as we have and nobody has forced us to visit Silver Falls State Park. Wow! Awesome! Lots of things to do. We got lucky in getting a capsite on "free camping in state parks weekend". There is an eight mile loop trail through the park that displays 10 of the most prominent falls. The kids did great and we were able to see three large falls. Of the 10 falls there are three where the trail passes behind the falls. All three of which we were able to visit with the kids. Pictured below is Lower South Falls 93ft.

South Falls 177 ft.

North Falls 136 ft.

I got up early an ran the trail as I wanted to see all 10 falls. Unfortunately I did not pack my camera on the run. I did find a PDF brochure on the internet that has details and pictures of all the falls. Click here if you wish. As I compile my list of top 10 trails to be run or hiked this is up there! My only suggestion is to run a little later in the day when the early morning spider webs across the trail have been taken care of by someone else.

No comments: