I feel a little odd contributing to our "family" blog. I usually just sit on the couch and make comments about whatever Eric's bloggin' about. I love quilt show day in Sisters. Everyone please make plans to come visit during this time when our town goes nuts! (And be sure to tell us you're coming, unlike the Lingards who we just happened to see strolling down the main drag aack - that was crazy!) The main street that goes through town is closed down and over 1200 quilts are hung everywhere. Even people who know nothing about quilts can appreciate the intricate detail and cool color combinations; and as an added bonus, being around thousands of quilters really makes you feel young and skinny. Jean and Valori Wells (original show organizers) are really picky about everything looking good, so they color coordinate all the quilts with each other and with the buildings (notice the red, white, and blue quilts on the Sno Cap) I was thrilled that my red and white carpenter's square quilt was hung in the front of the High Desert Gallery on the main drag and not in some back alley somewhere :) This year I volunteered to help hang quilts. I will definitely do it again, because it's the perfect time to see everything, before the big crowds are there and it's still nice and cool. I spent a "small" amount of time perusing all the quilts, and all the shops downtown that I usually don't dare take my children in :) Later on, our family made one swipe through town, so Eric could take all these gorgeous pictures!


This quilt is all made up of little tiny squares, it's amazing what the arrangement of different colors can do.
I love the colors in this quilt, which is actually a very simple pattern. It reminds me of a quilt lecture I went to last year presented by a lady from Guatamala, whose quilts were all made of these gorgeous bright colors.
This was my favorite quilt in the show. There are only 2 fabrics in it, but the way they stacked the fabrics and then cut out the pieces created all these gorgeous fun stars. The picture just doesn't do it justice.
Brooke was done before we even left our house.
This is a block of the month quilt I made with some ladies in the branch.
This is the side of the Stitchin' Post (the local quilt shop). All the employees have to contribute a quilt and they are always displayed on the side of the building. 
There were several of these "one block wonder" quilts. They are made in a similar fashion to that green star quilt above, you stack the fabric so the pattern lines up before you cut it, then when you sew the pieces together, these beautiful patterns are formed. The lady who teaches this class showed a quilt during one of the evening lectures made this way, on the back she had sewn a piece of the original fabric which was of rubber duckies! You never would have known from looking at the front of the quilt.
This is a carpenter's square quilt I made.




There was a whole section of amish quilts, they were amazing!
These two quilts were made by Janet Fogg. I went to her evening lecture. She is amazing, she starts with traditional blocks and then overlays them with these amazing artistic pictures. 

This was my other favorite quilt. I've never seen a double wedding ring with these gorgeous points included. Very original and very pretty (not to mention amazing)

Here is a local 4 inch moth who decided to spend the day under the eve of our house trying to beat the heat and avoid the crowded streets. 
5 comments:
Wow, Trisch, I had no idea! I know quilting is quite labor intensive, so hats off to you for such beautiful work! You are so talented: the flute, flower arrangements, cake decorating, quilting, and probably tons of other things I have no idea about. I just learned to make baby bracelets and that's my one tiny hobby. I guess one must start somewhere, no? You rock!
Amazing! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully we'll be there one day. Congrats on having quilts in the show; they were beautiful. Did you mean you ran into the Hods Hollow Lingards? How cool!
Hi! Michelle sent me your link and I'm so glad she did! I loved the pictures of the Sister's show -I went to that show years ago and seeing your pictures reminded me of how much fun we had! Michelle sent me your link because I'm a quilter and she knew how much I'd love your photos - cute blog! And thanks for sharing! Nan
I love your quilts, Trish! They're absolutely beautiful. I'm so impressed by all you've learned. Sometime I would like to come to Sisters for the quilt show. And, which Lingards did you run into? Haven't heard from any of them in awhile, so I don't know what any in the family are doing...
What a gorgeous quilt you made!!! I love looking at quilts. I'd like to consider myself a quilt maker but really I only do the simple rag quilt. I don't know if I'd have the patience to do such an intricate design but I love looking at them and owning them. We'll just have to try and make a trip to Sisters sometime :). Missy
Post a Comment